Grounded Traveler

Expat life in Germany and still seeing the world.

Skip to: Content | Sidebar | Footer

German Beer Vocabulary

22 October, 2012

Germany is the land of beer. It is perhaps best well known for its beer and for festivals celebrating said beer. It doesn’t help you enjoy it though if you can’t order or don’t know what you are ordering. So here is some German beer vocabulary with translations and explanations. Yes, you could just order “a beer” and be perfectly fine, but isn’t it nicer to understand what you are doing.

Ganter Pilsner, glowing

General German Beer Vocabulary

Das Bier“das beer” : The Beer.

Ein Bier, bitte“eye-n beer, bit-eh” : A beer, please.
This will most likely get you whatever is on tap and local. Almost every restaurant has an agreement with one brewery or another and will have that brewery’s beer as a standard on tap.

Noch Mal“noch mal” : another.
Especially when pointing at an empty glass, this will get you another of the same thing you are drinking.

Zahlen, bitte“zal-en, bit-eh” : pay, please.
When you are ready to pay, this will get you the bill. Definitely know your limit and drink responsibly. Germans have had their entire life to practice drinking and while sometimes get boisterous are better at not over drinking than most English speakers.

Reinheitsgebot“Rine-hites-ge-boat” : Purity law (for beer)
This is the law from the middle ages that declared that beer in Germany may only be made from water, malted barley, hops and yeast. The Reinheitsgebot is still in force today.

Fass“fahss” : tap
A beer which is on tap is “vom Fass”. A Fass is literally a keg or barrel.

Flasche“flash-eh” : bottle
So of course the opposite of on tap is in the bottle.

Helles Bier - Light (colored) beer, a Pilsner

Types of Beers and how to Describe them

While you certainly can order just “a beer,” it is also reasonable to order the type that you are interested in.

Pils“pills”
A Pils (or sometimes Pilsner) is very common type of beer in Germany. It is pale yellow and usually clear. Ali seems to think it tastes just like any beer in the US. While much of what you might remember from Keggers in college were types of pilsners, do not let that stop you from trying them in Germany. They do them well here. This is the type you are most likely to get when you order “a beer”.

Weissbier or Weizen“vice-beer” or “vy-tzen” : Wheat beer
Weissbiers are made from wheat instead of barley. They are not often filtered so will appear cloudy with the remaining yeast from fermentation. You can find them ranging from dark to light. Because the yeast often remains in them, they are slightly sweeter and less bitter than Pils.

Helles“hel-es” : light
This implies a light color. So a beer with a more yellow color. I have yet to find a “lite” beer in Germany. They do make alcohol free, but not reduced calorie.

Dunkeles“dunk-el-es” : dark
The opposite of light, a darker colored beer. Dark can range from a nut-brown to a near black like Guiness.

Trub / Krystal / Klares“troob” / “crystahl” / “clar-es” : cloudy / crystal /clear
Beer ferments with yeast that is normally filtered out. If it is not, the beer is call “trub” (cloudy). The local breweries in Freiburg both have beer that is “trub”. My favorite micro brewery, Feierling, only makes cloudy beer, even though it is a Pils that is normally clear.
While Pils are normally filtereed, Weissbier are normally not. However a Krystal-Weizen is a Weissbier that has been filtered.
“Klares” would just describe a beer of any type that is filtered and clear

Radler“rad-ler”
A Radler is a mix of beer and lemon soda. The British call this a Shandy. It makes the beer a bit sweeter and cuts the alcohol a bit. Nice if you need to slow down a bit near the end of the night or just want a more refreshing beer in the summer.
There is also Saueres Radler “sour-es rad-ler” where fizzy mineral water is used instead of soda. I like that better as I find the sweet of the soda changes the taste of the beer too much.

Dark Beer - Dunkeles Bier

Sizes and Related Words

Once you get to ordering your beer, the question you might get is “Welche Grosse?” (which size?)

Klein“kline” : small
A small beer. In most places that I have been in this is a 0.3 Liter glass, which is a tiny bit less than a soda can.

Gross“gross” : large
A large beer. This is normally a half liter glass, which is slightly less than a pint. This is kind of the standard “beer” that you probably picture.

Null Drei, Null Vier, Null Funf“nul dry”,”nul fear”,”nul foonf” : 0.3, 0.4, 0.5
Every glass in German restaurants is measured. There is a little line that the drink is filled to and it is labeled. This is a quantity control thing. Things are measured in liters, so these words are saying how much of a liter is in the glass. 0.3 is about the size of a soda can. 0.5 is a bit smaller than a pint. And 0.4 is obviously in between. Sometimes you hear these instead of just small and large. It should also be listed in menus with these sizes.

Mass“mass”
A Mass is a one liter mug of beer. Check out pictures of Oktoberfest. Those glasses the women are carrying are one liter Masses. It is extremely common at Oktoberfest and rare everywhere else.

Dunkeles Wiezen - Palmbraeu

- – -
Beer is definitely something to try in Germany. It is quite cultural and sitting in beer gardens can be a good way to meet locals. Germans are passionate about their beer, especially their favorite (usually local) brewery. This set of German beer vocabulary should be enough to get a start into ordering beer. And even though most Germans do speak some English it is nice to reach out their language, especially for a beer.

If you enjoyed this post..
Join the Facebook fanpage
or subscribing to Grounded Traveler by Email.

Related posts:

Ode to the Pretzel
Titisee, Schwartzwald
14 Signs of Germany
Transportation in Germany

Category: Culture and Language, Life In Germany

Tags: ,

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

39 Responses to German Beer Vocabulary

1. Jimmy MHE says:

A very useful and helpful introduction, made me more confident ordering in a beer in a German

2. Pingback: What can't you get in Germany, than you can in the US? - Grounded Traveler

3. Pingback: Cantillon Brewery in Brussels - Ctrl Alt Travel

4. Pingback: Researching Longterm Settlement Visas in Germany - Grounded Traveler

5. Pingback: A Germany travel guide for budget travelers : Budget Travel Adventures

6. Vaptisi says:

Very useful guide, thank you. I have to agree with Nico thoug, that after a few beers you don’t need any particular guide to enjoy a beer (or order one…)!

7. Nico says:

I think after one too many beers I’d end up regressing to sign language. Still it’s good to know a bit of German for your first few pints.

• Andrew says:

Signlanguage is good too. Most often just pointing at the empty glass is enough to get another what you were drinking. Hope this gets you on the right track to starting the night well.

8. Agness says:

I agree, Germany is the land of beer and… sausages ;-) My favourite German beer is Hacker-Pschorr Märzen ;-) I used to learn German so I know the vocabulary :-)
    Agness recently posted..Photo Essay: Thai FoodMy Profile

9. Margyle says:

The one beer that always comes back to mind is Erdinger Weisbier… I had it years ago in a local pub in university and I thought I was tasting the nectar of the gods. I had it again years later after having other brews and while it was still great… I had moved on. Oh how I love beer.
    Margyle recently posted..The Greatest Souvenirs I’ve Ever Bought MyselfMy Profile

• Andrew says:

Weizen has a very different taste than ‘normal’ beer. Softer and smoother somehow. It is however thicker and almost drinks like a meal.

We definitely get the Erdinger here, but I tend to go for the local brand when I buy. There is a place in town though that does Munich Breakfast, which is white sausage, pretzel, mustard and an Erdinger. I haven’t tried that yet. Somehow drinking in the morning isn’t so fun sounding.

10. I may not know how to say anything else but I always know how to order a beer or wine! Absolutely love the quantity control lines on glasses. Wish they had that here in the states. Thanks for this, now I know how to ask for the bill :)
    Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista recently posted..Epicurean’s Guide to Europe: Delicious Dishes You Have To Try!My Profile

• Andrew says:

Glad you learned something. I always try to learn at least the word for beer along with thank you in every new language we encounter while traveling.

11. Ali says:

Sorry, yes I do think all Pilsners taste like Miller Lite or whatever from the US. But at least I’m better able to drink better than I used to be!
    Ali recently posted..What is Stopping You From Traveling?My Profile

12. Julika says:

I loved this post! I am German and didn’t even know what a “Trübes” is :) Some expressions are restricted to certain regions, tough. And, sorry to disappoint you, I never heard about a light beer in Germany – the closest I found so far is “Becks Gold”, which is rather watery and considered a girly beer :)
    Julika recently posted..5 Things You Really Should Do in LisbonMy Profile

• Andrew says:

I don’t actually go looking for lite beer. I tend to like darker versus lighter anyway.
      We have a few places here that do the unfiltered Truebes stuff. It is nice tasting, but can be a brutal hangover.

13. Julien says:

North of France and Begium are also lands o f beer. You could easily find brown beer, cherry beer, white beer. Some of them are made in old catholic buildings from a very long time…You would enjoy it !
    Julien recently posted..Our family tested a Carnival in north of FranceMy Profile

14. Audrey says:

This is great! I’ll be sending this in advance to everyone who visits us in Berlin to study up before their visit. As mentioned below, there’s quite a bit of bad beer in Berlin. But, we have found a few microbrews that have been rather tasty. But, it’s still hard to beat beer from the south.

You should visit Berlin next year for the Beer Festival (usually early August) – over 2,000 beers from around the world spread over 2 km. Lots of fun :)
    Audrey recently posted..It Happened In Monterey (Or, How We Met)My Profile

• Andrew says:

Glad you liked the post and I hope it helps your guests. I somehow can fathom the idea of bad beer in Germany. I guess the most classic beers are indeed from the south aren’t they?

Early August beer fest in Berlin sounds awesome. Definitely have to remember that.

15. Arndt says:

Very interesting , but very important is the Rhine area , so especially the difference between the city of cologne and duesseldorf . They don’t like each other very well..:) based on their tradionell beer culture Koelsch and “Old Beer” ..some hard people drink at breakfast time :) 0.2

• Andrew says:

I liked both of those beers actually, though we see more Koelsch than Altbier here. The Bavarians drink beer with their sausage for breakfast too, don’t they?

16. Is it a strange coincidence that I woke up this morning with a raging headache and this was the last thing I wanted to see! :)
    Natalie @Turkey Travel blog recently posted..The Gorgeous Ayder Plateau of North East TurkeyMy Profile

17. Vera says:

Andrew, cool post:)! I also respect your silence about the cola-beer-mix and the banana-Weizen, as we shall not bring Germany’s reputuation into disrepute! …Or maybe it would impress foreigners even more, so they’d come to enjoy what Loz refers to as a ‘beer-milk-shake’? I can’t decide…
    Vera recently posted..In photos: from the Facebook page – Edition IVMy Profile

• Andrew says:

Thanks, Vera. I have mentioned cola bier in another post. The banana beer may very well need its own post. Or at least all of the beer mixes that occur. I wonder if they are regional as well. I quite expect so, if I know Germany.

18. Adam says:

The very first German words I learned were most of these that related to buying beer in a bar :-)

Great and useful resource you’ve put together!
    Adam recently posted..Staying near San Francisco’s Union Square at the Hotel AbriMy Profile

• Andrew says:

It is really useful to know how to buy beer. That and find a toilet. These two, added to please and thank you are my critical words in any language.

19. Laurence says:

That’s one seriously handy post! Should be printed off and mandatory travelling material ;) Also, I’ve seen a copy of the Reinheitsgebot on pub walls.. for something that sounds so simple it sure goes on a bit!
    Laurence recently posted..In photos: from the Facebook page – Edition IVMy Profile

20. One thing I’ve learned since coming to Berlin: while Germany as a whole is known for having excellent beer, Berlin seems to be trying its hardest to dispel that stereotype. This city’s lack of good beer is pretty shocking. You’re lucky to be in the south, I think.
    Daniel McBane – Funny Travel Stories recently posted..Exploring Gigantic Kong Lo Cave by BoatMy Profile

21. Mandi says:

But if you’re traveling up north — Hamburg, Bremen, etc. — we say Alster instead of Radler!
    Mandi recently posted..Five Senses Friday no. 58My Profile