Who is the Grounded Traveler?
Artist, techie, traveler, homebody, conversationalist, philosopher, beer drinker, friend.
I am in my 30s and just before my 30th birthday I left my home in the US and moved to Germany. I moved here as a leap of faith without friends, job, home or really any clue where I was headed. Several years later I have all of that in a new life as an expat. It has ended up being the best decision I have ever made. I now use my base in Germany to travel around Europe (still mostly by train) and branch out from here.
What themes do I usually cover?
- Travel – Experiencing places at a slower pace to enjoy them more fully.
- Overcoming Fear – Fear of flight as well as other panic inducing things has plagued me for years. Trael has helped me overcome many of them.
- Phototours – I am a very visual person and like pictures. I post phototours of some of the places I have been around Europe.
- Life as an Expat – What it takes to live in a foreign place full time without just traveling through.
- Germany - Life in Germany, especially for expats is a strange one.
Where did the name come from?
I hate to fly, and decided to see the world without airplanes. That is the original source. Now it means to me more being grounded in my life and still being a traveler. Balancing home and travel.
As a new note, I have started to fly again (see the conquering fear part), and just recently signed up for a frequent flier program. I still don’t like flying, but it is better than being afraid of it.
Like my Photos?
Read the page on Photography Use.
What to contact me?
If you want to comment on a specific post, please leave a comment there. Otherwise send me a message from the Contact Page.